Fine lines, wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation are byproducts of aging, spending too much time in the sun, or both. Fortunately, there are things we can do to improve the appearance of our skin. One of them is Lumecca, an intense pulse light (IPL) treatment that can reduce or eliminate hyperpigmentation, vascular lesions, and acne. The FDA-approved treatment can even decrease fine lines and wrinkles while helping to tighten pores.
How Does Lumecca Work?
Lumecca works by using intense pulsed light photo-thermolysis that’s delivered in controlled wavelengths of light. That light interacts with red and brown pigments in the skin. When those pigments absorb that light energy, they are destroyed, leaving patients with skin that is not only clearer but also healthier. The same controlled wavelengths of light also stimulate elastin and collagen production to combat fine lines and wrinkles. Most people see noticeable results from Lumecca treatments within 1 to 2 weeks.
To get the most out of Lumecca, individuals must follow pre and post-care instructions provided by Nurse Practitioner D’Andra Lee. Some of the pre-care instructions at Elite Aesthetics & Wellness include the following:
- Avoiding Accutane or isotretinoin products for six months before treatment
- Avoiding doxycycline, minocycline, or any other photosensitizing medications for three days before treatment
- Avoiding retinol and other irritant topical agents for at least four days ahead of treatment
- Informing your physician or skin specialist if you have a history of hyperpigmentation
- Not tanning six weeks before treatment
Lumecca Post Care
What someone does after undergoing Lumecca is as important as what they do before undergoing Lumecca. Some of the post-care instructions Nurse Practioner D’Andra Lee advises patients to follow after undergoing treatments include the following:
- Avoid chemical peels for at least one week
- Avoid intense exercise or spending time in overly hot saunas since heat and friction can adversely affect treatment results.
- Avoiding excess sun exposure
- Avoid using retinoids or tretinoins on the areas treated for one week post-treatment
- Avoid using beta-hydroxy or vitamin C scrubs on the areas treated for one week post-treatment
- Avoid using scrubs or exfoliants on the areas treated for one week post-treatment
Along with these recommendations, most physicians and skin specialists advise patients to apply sunblock when spending time outdoors. They further caution patients against applying makeup on irritated or broken skin.
What to Expect While Healing From Lumecca
While every case is different, most people experience some swelling and redness after undergoing Lumecca treatments, and these side effects typically only last a few days. Many also experience the following:
- Crusting or blistering
- Flaking of pigmented areas treated with Lumecca
- Fragile skin
- Temporary darkening of sun and age spots before they finally begin to respond and diminish
Schedule A Consultation
With proper pre and post-care, Lumecca can significantly improve the appearance of your skin. The 30 to 40-minute treatment session is virtually pain-free, and the associated downtime is minimal. To learn more about this breakthrough in anti-aging treatments, schedule a consultation with Elite Aesthetics & Wellness in Newport Beach, CA today. Call our office at (949) 694-3537 or use our online contact form.